Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Working Moms Day Begins...

A glimpse into a typical day for me...

The alarm is set for 5:30 AM but I find myself with one eye open by the time 5:05 rolls around. You know what that means, no sense in just laying there, "its time to get moving". Head down stairs start the coffee pot and take out the dog...not really one of my designated chores but with the coffee still brewing it’s become part of my routine. Ahhh finally, a warm cup of coffee to get me going, while I watch a taped episode of "The Office". Before you know it, 30 minutes has passed and the house is beginning to wake...no rest for the weary. You see our family consists of 2 boys and one very large 100 lb Bernese Mt dog named Zahli. Sorry, check that, I meant to say my husband and my 9yr old son.

First things first, get my 9 yr old moving, lay out school clothes, pack lunches and get his book bag organized to the day. Next things, is to clean up quickly, easier said than done sometimes. Admittedly, I have a tendency to lose track of time. However, once I catch myself or get a gentle reminder from my husband it’s off to the shower. I have to mention my husband, he’s a great guy! He has all the best intentions, he shares in the responsibilities and certainly does his part to help but let’s just say that he's not really a morning person. I leave at it that!

A nice warm shower, a place where I can enjoy some peace and quiet. Next, time get dressed, do make up, and organize my thoughts for the day. Review the household calendar and make sure everyone know what’s happening for that particular day. Once that’s done another quick clean after the boys have had breakfast and it time to jump in the car and start the day. Off to visit clients, this day typically last 8hrs plus depending on the schedule and traffic.

By now, I think you get the basic idea...does this sound familiar? It should, because most working Moms carry on like this day after day. Constantly doing for the family and not getting enough time for themselves. Don't get me wrong, taking care of your family easily ranks as the number one priority but we do need to make sure that we don't not get lost in the shuffle.

Seeing that it’s all about schedules, here are some key points to follow:

1. Let’s start with the food, you need to eat foods that incorporate a good nutritional mixture; fish, chicken, pasta, fruits, vegetables and some beef. Your body needs a variety of healthy foods in order to function properly. Please do not underestimate the importance of this component, its key to your well being as well as life itself.

2. Set up a personal exercise plan, whether it is running, cycling, true yoga or some sort of flexibility program. Most importantly, set up a plan that Incorporates things that you enjoy doing. Remember this is your plan, have fun with it and get energized.

3. Having some sort of weight management plan in place is always a good idea. As difficult as this is or most women, with the right plan in place, weight loss goals can be achieved. Just make sure it’s the right plan for you...based on your age and body type.

We all need time for ourselves, time to be an individual again, time to escape, time to just be YOU! It’s healthy to be you...set up a personal schedule, have fun, set up that exercise plan and whenever possible try something new! Just make sure, you make time for you!









No comments: